It is rare that I like every sample in a shipment, but I think this time, it's safe to say I did. I wouldn't buy every single fragrance, but I didn't truly dislike any of them. Here are my thoughts on them, least to most favored.
6. Paco Rabanne Olympea. It is a little strong and although it doesn't smell like anything at all that I can think of, it still smells familiar. I think it is pretty good. I don't think I'd reach for it all that often though, if I decided to buy it, but I probably would sometimes! It's something I'd have to be in the mood to wear. I tucked this one into my daughter's Christmas Stocking because I think she might like it, and it is in that nice purse-size I talked about, that MicroPerfumes offers. Twist down for purse storage to avoid leaks or spills. Refreshing mandarin awakens the senses at the top note, moving on to spicy and sweet ginger lily. Contrast is a recurring theme in this scent, with vanilla and salt forming the heart. Finally, rare ambergris brings a marine aquatic feel to the base of the perfume.
5. Tresor La Nuit EDT (not the same as the parfum I posted about previously). This is lighter than the parfum and really nothing like it, and I kind of do like it. It's a nice jammy kind of scent. I like it better than the EDP version that everyone raves about, and of course, I love the bottle that it comes in, which looks like a glass diamond. This is not something I am likely to buy because it doesn't last very long on my skin, but it is the one I like best so far, from the Tresor line. Top Notes: Raspberry, Blackberry, Litchi, Black Currant, Citruses and Bergamot; middle notes are Damask Rose, Peony and Lily of the Valley; base notes are Tahitian Vanilla, Patchouli and White Musk.
4. Hermes Eau de Merveilles. I put this closer to the end because while the scent is super smooth and all things pleasant, it is also too light for me, and wears off in no time flat. I literally was having a hard time finding the smell after even half an hour. So while I was thrilled to try my first Hermes fragrance, I was equally happy that I did not purchase a big bottle. Note: perfumes work different on every individual, so while this one did not last long for me, that does not mean it will perform the same way for you. It is a lovely scent, so definitely worth trying if you get the chance. Top notes are Vetiver, Oak, and Cedar. Heart Note is Ambergis. Base Notes are Lemon, Orange, Elemi, and Pink Pepper.
3. Bond. No. 9 Chinatown. I was so excited to try a Bond No. 9 perfume. I have heard so many good things about them, and there are so many different kinds to try. The brand did not disappoint. Chinatown is creamy and smooth. It is subtle and pretty. It is unisex but I think it leans way more towards being feminine. I really like it but maybe not enough for the price being charged. I don't see these in the notes but to me it smells almost like cherry lip gloss and gardenias Top notes are Peach Blossom and Bergamot; middle notes are Tuberose, Gardenia, Peony and Orange Blossom; base notes are Cardamom, Vanilla, Sandalwood, Guaiac Wood, Patchouli and Virginia Cedar.
2. Creed Aventus for Her. I like Creed Aventus for men a LOT. This smells very similar to it. I think it smells great, but I also think the men's version trumps this one. This version does last a long time, and even though it leans a bit masculine, I would reach for this time and time again if I owned it. It's one of those fragrances that has you sniffing your arm all day, just to get an extra whiff. It is highly likely that I will purchase a full-sized bottle of this at some point. It begins with top notes of patchouli, green apple, bergamot, lemon, pink pepper and violet. The middle notes are composed of Mysore sandalwood, rose, musk and styrax. The composition ends with a base of sweet peach, black currant, lilac, ylang-ylang and amber.
1. Tom Ford Black Orchid (EDP). Oh my gosh, this is not a fragrance, this is an experience!! I have heard people say you wouldn't want to wear this to work, and I agree! This is a man-killer, let's dance in a dark room with a red or black dress and diamonds. Don't forget the diamonds. It lasts forever! It has great sillage (the trail left behind when you move). Also, because it is so rich and heady, a little bit goes a very long way. This fragrance is not easy to wear. It is heavy, rich, complex, dark and very unapologetic. It is a very powerful scent that people either say they love or hate. It is definitely to be used with caution. I personally, love it, which surprises me because it isn't light and airy, like I usually prefer. This is smoldering and spicy. Oh, and for the record, there will be a full bottle of this on my counter very, very soon. This is the best smelling Tom Ford I have EVER tried, and one I will probably love for the rest of my life! The top notes are French jasmine, black truffle, ylang-ylang, black currant, and effervescent citrus. The base combines woodsy notes (patchouli and sandalwood), dark chocolate, incense, amber, vetiver, vanilla, and balsam.
To wrap it all up, even if I only found one that I love, I found five others that I like (one of which I REALLY like), and I consider that a win. Plus I love the Black Orchid SO MUCH, that even if I didn't like the others, it still would have a been a winning haul for me. Finally, a Tom Ford fragrance I can get behind (all of the others I have smelled have been unisex bottles that were bent more towards men, and I honestly didn't care for them, for me).
Fragrance samples at MicroPerfumes start at 99-cents and if you find something you love, you can also purchase a full-sized bottle. All sales are authentic, high-quality, original brands.
Visit the MicroPerfumes website to start trying fragrance splits on your own. Try before you buy is my renewed motto (remember the perfume I blind bought that everyone said they loved but it reminded me of meat, ugh). I'm not glad that happened, but it did serve as a good reminder that it's just throwing money away when you buy something you haven't tried, if you do not end up loving it. With MicroPerfumes being so easy to order from, and having so many options available to try, I do not have to worry about being tempted to blind buy any longer (usually, ahem 👀😊💓).