As I was putting together a jigsaw puzzle, a luxury I don't often get to do because of time constraints, it kept coming to my mind that life is like a puzzle and you just have to work at it, one piece at a time. How?
1. When you open the box, or start a new adventure, there are 2 types of people around you, those who dig right in to help you sort, and the naysayers (you'll never find time to do that!!...that's boring...you may start it but you'll never finish it). Side Note: If you're neglecting someone (ahem, our cat) they might not understand and try to sit on it or intentionally nudge pieces on the floor to try and get you to stop. 😸
2. Sometimes when you are sure every single thing you needed for your project was in place, you'll come up short, unable to locate a piece you knew was there before, but now is nowhere to be found.
3. The missing piece you needed, was right in front of you the whole time. You just needed to shift the section above you down a little bit to find the perfect fit.
4. When you get half way through the puzzle, people will snicker (You're still doing that?). Yes, mine was out for weeks but I kept at it...one puzzle piece at a time. When I got some vacay time, I really got to focus on it, and that quiet time was soooo nice!
5. Sometimes it gets a bit tedious or dull, especially if you're working in a section with all of the same colors or hues. True, but who ever promised it would be exciting every step of the way? With a puzzle, all you have to do is get up and go focus on something else for awhile, knowing the allure of it will eventually bring you back.
6. Sometimes it gets addicting. You are on a roll. You can't stop! This is GREAT!! But you've got to get up and make lunch for the kids. Ahhh, the dilemma. ;)
8. When your project is all said and done, you're proud of what you accomplished, and everyone who sees it is smiling and openly glad you met your goals.
9. You take a picture and leave it out for a day so you can look at it.
10. You put it in the box, being careful to disassemble each piece carefully so the next person who opens it will have the joy of constructing it entirely on their own. You're feeling happy/accomplished/satisfied that you kept at it, all the while wondering what your new project will be. :)
2019 is a new year, and that always offers us a catalyst to jump start success for something we've been meaning to do anyway. I'm continuing on with my goals from last year, knowing I haven't reached them yet, but have taken active steps all of 2018 to keep moving towards them. I'm not there yet, but I'm at the half-way point, and still moving forward. Sometimes it gets boring, and sometimes I get eager/excited/anticipatory. No matter what part of the journey I'm on though, I know I'm going to meet my goals...because I keep working on them, one puzzle piece at a time.