Play-Doh has come a long way since it's inception 60 years ago, and a big hurrah for it, but the original is still every bit as fun as it was when I was a kid (and that wasn't 60 years ago, but it was a long time ago). :) Keep reading to see how Play-Doh is celebrating, and how you can join in on the fun!
WORLD PLAY-DOH DAY
Today, World PLAY-DOH Day, September 16, 2016, Hasbro’s iconic brand is celebrating its 60th birthday by inviting fans around the globe to share what they imagine life to look like 60 years into the future.
World PLAY-DOH Day has been celebrated since 2006. It started as ‘National’ PLAY-DOH Day, but excitement surrounding the holiday grew far beyond U.S. boundaries, and it evolved into World PLAY-DOH Day in 2015.
To commemorate the brand’s past, the PLAY-DOH brand will engage its community by looking toward the future. Families and fans are invited to share what they imagine fashion, food, science, life, and the world as a whole to look like in the next 60 years.
· Fans can join in the fun on September 16 by sharing their predictions using #PLAYDOH60 and #WORLDPLAYDOHDAY, and by participating in the conversations on Instagram (@PLAY-DOH) and Facebook.
WORLD PLAY-DOH DAY / 60th BIRTHDAY FUN FACTS
- · The PLAY-DOH brand was born in 1956
- Since 1956, the PLAY-DOH brand has encouraged kids to explore what’s possible. Originally developed as a wallpaper cleaner, PLAY-DOH compound is now the #1 reusable modeling compound, and is sold in more than 80 countries world-wide!
- · 4 colors started it all: red, blue, yellow, and white. Now the PLAY-DOH brand has over 50 colors!
- There are 3 main ingredients in PLAY-DOH compound: water, flour, and salt.
- · 3 billion PLAY-DOH cans have been sold since 1956
- That’s enough to reach the moon and back THREE times!
- · PLAY-DOH compound was inducted into the National Toy Hall of Fame in 1998!
- · 169 dinosaurs would weigh about the same as all the PLAY-DOH compound sold world-wide in one year!
- You would need more than 631 million PLAY-DOH cans to circle all the way around the world!
- You can fit 172 pennies into one PLAY-DOH can
In celebration of its 60th anniversary, the PLAY-DOH brand is taking fans on entirely new colorful, creatable, makeable adventures! New for 2016, the PLAY-DOH Town segment inspires creative storytelling through the use of figures, characters, and town-themed playsets and vehicles. The PLAY-DOH brand’s milestone year will also bring fun new licensed characters and playsets into the fold, while paying tribute to the classic brand’s past with the reintroduction of several iconic, beloved playsets. A childhood staple since its introduction in 1956, the PLAY-DOH brand continues to captivate the imaginations of children and artists of all ages as it heads into year 60 and beyond!
PLAY-DOH TOWN 3 in 1 TOWN CENTER Playset
(Ages 3 years & up/Approx. Retail Price: $39.99/ Available: Fall 16)
PLAY-DOH ICE CREAM CASTLE Playset
(Ages 3 years & up/Approx. Retail Price: $19.99/ Available: Fall 16)
Kids can pile their PLAY-DOH ICE CREAM to the sky with the ICE CREAM CASTLE playset! Little ones can squeeze out silly soft serve-swirls using the extruder, pile on the wacky toppings using the half molds around the set and serve their creations up in a colorful cone! Kids can also add PLAY-DOH sprinkles to their masterpieces with the sprinkle maker, create different soft-serve shapes using the playset’s ice cream discs, then top it off with the whipped cream extruder! To sprinkle on even more fun, use the CONFETTI compound to create the most colorful creations yet! Set includes assorted tools, extruder, four cans of PLAY-DOH compound, and two cans of PLAY-DOH CONFETTI compound.
(Ages 3 years & up/Approx. Retail Price: $14.99/ Available: Fall 16)
Open wide! Get brushing, filling, and fixing with the DOCTOR DRILL ‘N FILL playset! Little ones can pretend to become a PLAY-DOH dentist by molding a mouthful of teeth and braces to create the perfect smile for their patient. Little dentists can use tools for the examination, a toothbrush to get teeth sparkly clean, and a drill that really spins! Playset includes patient head, electronic drill, tooth book mold, tweezers, toothbrush, dentist tools, and five cans of PLAY-DOH compound. Requires AA batteries, not included.
PLAY-DOH CONFETTI PACK
Every creation is a celebration with the PLAY-DOH CONFETTI collection! This six-pack of PLAY-DOH cans is sprinkled with colorful confetti chips in the compound to make every creation a parade of open-ended creativity! The collection includes six two-ounce cans of bright pink, light pink, white, blue, yellow, and brown compound with rainbow confetti and two cutters.