Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The Importance of Securing Furniture

I have had two huge mishaps with my four children, and thankfully both turned out okay.  The first was with my oldest.  He was about four or five, and we were at the beach.  We were done for the day, and went inside to rinse the sand off and change out of our wet swimsuits.  He got done first, and stepped outside of the shower stall. I told him to stay where I could see his feet (never would I do this now, but way back then it seemed reasonable).  He left.  I went after, with mere seconds passing.  I spent a lot of time walking up and down the beach walk looking for him, and panic set in.  A little while later (who knows how much actual time passed, for me it seemed like a really long time) two elderly women came walking with him, each holding his hand.  He'd followed them all the way down the boardwalk and to the parking lot area.  I was sobbing by that point and just very happy to see him.  It could have been exponentially, horribly worse.  I still shudder just thinking about it.

My oldest at the age he was in the story

The second mishap was with my youngest.  About five years ago, he was sound asleep in the middle of my bed (he was an infant).  I decided to rearrange the furniture in the room while he was sleeping.  I placed the television on the flat, sturdy platform of the foot of our bed so I could move the dresser.  Big mistake. We're not talking the thin, flat-screened TV's, which we have since replaced that dinosaur TV with (though that would be bad enough), we're talking the big, thick, solid and very heavy old-fashioned kind of televisions that were difficult to pick up. Somewhere along the way, in a silent move that I never even heard, that TV got knocked off of the foot board of the bed and was lying less than an inch from my infant's beautiful soft, newborn head (that would likely not have sustained a knock from something as heavy as that TV in a good way).  I cried.  I cried and held him (yes, he was still asleep, but I held him anyway), and I never, never moved furniture when he was in the room again.

My youngest sleeping on our bed when he was an infant.

It is at the risk of huge embarrassment and humiliation, I note those two things, but I think it is important to share our mistakes publicly so others can learn from them. I hope someone will learn from mine.

What made me think of these things, is that yesterday at Simply Vintageous......by Suzan, I came across this article, "Be With Me. Just for Today," and my heart just ached for the mom in that story who didn't have as happy of an ending as I did.  I hope you will take a look at her blog post and note the importance of securing furniture, even the small pieces, if you have a small child in the home.  The life you save, could be a child of your own.  My husband will be strapping all of our furniture down this week (he's on vacation) because we read the article.  The importance of doing so, really cannot be overrated.  Thank you, Suzan for sharing the article, and thank you to the blog owner of Love, Light, Laughter, and Chocolate -- One Mom's Journey for blogging about it.  Our lives have been impacted, and we are taking active measures because of that article, and I am guessing others will do the same.

29 comments:

  1. I saw this floating around Facebook last week and cried....like a baby. Can you imagine such a horrific thing? It's just terrible and it is incredibly important to secure furniture, which I admit that I never thought of until I read the article.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. I cried when I read it too, and no I cannot even imagine. Who even has the words?

      Delete
  2. I totally feel your mama-pain with your stories. The worst day of my life as a mom came when my daughter was 8 months old and my hubby had her on our bed {it's a king and pretty far off the ground} and he turned away for a second. Next thing I heard was my daughter screaming and him saying "oh my god, oh my god". She crawled off the side of the bed. We took her to the ER but thankfully everything was okay. Still, I was so scared and my husband didn't get over the fact for days that he let her fall off the bed. I think we all have these moments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Falls DO scare you. I'm glad your little one was okay!!

      Delete
  3. These things can happen so easily, and you can't imagine them beforehand to prevent them. I have a worse story. My Uncle Jack ran over his daughter. He worked on a ranch, and drove a big truck. She got right behind the wheel as a toddler, and no one saw her when he backed out of the driveway. She would be my age today. The thought of it makes me shutter every time, and I just don't know how he and my Aunt have lived with it their whole lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. My husband has a cousin who ran over her child and the child lived. It's the most amazing story I think I've ever heard. She's grown now (the child).

      I'm sorry about your cousin. :(

      Delete
  4. My heart just aches and aches over that. I'm so grateful that your precious baby was safe. We can't be reminded enough of this. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. My heart was aching over her story too. I'm glad she shared it though, it really does have the potential to save others. I have four kids and we haven't secured furniture, you know? I feel very fortunate we haven't had a mishap. I'd feel entirely responsible now, if we did and I hadn't taken the steps to prevent it after reading her story.

      Delete
  5. This is a great topic to bring awareness to Rosey! It is amazing how many infants and toddlers are injured because of a simple thing like wall anchors or properly securing something.

    xoxo
    Lanaya
    www.raising-reagan.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for linking this post to Raising Imperfection.
      Please come back Friday to see if you were featured :)

      Lanaya
      www.raising-reagan.com

      Delete

    2. I agree, and thanks for visiting. I didn't get around to many blog hops this weekend because we were out of town and sick, but happily did get over your way. :)

      Delete
  6. OH WOW!!! So scary. It's so easy to have things happen...in the blink of an eye. But we all do things when our children are little, that make us gasp afterwards. I'm glad all turned out okay! ~Tammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. I agree, it's completely the norm and a part of parenting. Never eases the gasp factor though...

      Delete
  7. Thanks so much for posting this Rosey - this story needs as much exposure as it can get - it's gone viral - but should still be posted about over and over and over!
    Big hugs,
    Suzan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thank YOU because I'd have never even heard of the story if I hadn't seen it on your blog!

      Delete
  8. I'm so glad for you that your story turned out happy. I read the link and am so sad for that mother whose story ended horribly. I'm going to forward it to my sister to make sure she has their furniture secure (they have an almost 3 year old boy).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my! Thanks for sharing Rosey. I don't know if Zi can handle reading hers now but I will. I still have bumper pads on our fireplace. Everytime I think about removing for cosmetic reasons I think but what if he trips and bumps his head. So there they will stay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go with the gut... that's what I always say. Way better safe than sorry, & you've got precious cargo to protect over there. :)

      Delete
  10. Urgh; I remember the day my cousin, who has a daughter the same age as my own, dropped my then 10 year old off at my work with a 'sprained' ankle. Although my daughter had never been rollerblading she'd stuffed my daughter in large, adult, rollerblades and left she and her own daughter unattended. A trip to the ER later...after the ER doctor had sneered at my "whiny spoiled brat kid"....he came in white-faced and immediately put her on Vicodin. Two surgeries later she now has a large metal screw holding her ankle together; it was so badly broken the bones of her heel had been shoved up into the arch of her foot. No insurance at the time and my cousin didn't even offer to help.

    I am definitely going to read the post; our children and precious and can be unspeakably fragile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, the one time you wish 'the jerk' person was right and you were wrong. Those kinds of memories have a double sting.

      Delete
  11. I have read this and her story is so heart breaking.

    Thanks for linking up to Raising Imperfection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting it. Suzan was right, it's a story that should be shared, and I see tons are sharing it. I'm glad.

      Delete
  12. It's every parents worst nightmare, I was crying as I read her story.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I read the post and it broke my heart! Such a sad story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was just heart wrenching. Hubby said he didn't want to hear a story like that, but guess what, we're looking around at the furniture. My guy's 5, but he's still thin and tiny, he could get hurt easily by furniture. I worry about the TV on the corner stand, I'm going to look into a way to secure that too, esp. since he has a mild interest in Mario (vid game). One jerk of the controller and the TV could easily go flying.

      Delete
  14. I have heard that story. So sad!
    I have had my mishaps too. Mommy hearts get scared sometimes even when they are older.

    Thanks for coming by for Topics today!
    ~Naila Moon

    ReplyDelete