The day after Christmas I drove through blizzard-like conditions to pick up family at the airport. The planes oftentimes don't come in on time, are delayed, diverted, and so on and so forth, but on the day they have to land in blizzard-type weather, they're flying and on time. I'm not complaining about that, but go figure.
The drive to the airport from our home is about an hour and a half on a good day. The night of the snowstorm, it took me close to four hours to get the airport (including the half an hour I pulled off of the road to wait for salt trucks). Ice was pouring down, 18-wheelers were moving at 25 MPH on the highway, cars were in the ditches everywhere you looked. Trust me, I was a praying driver that night. Conditions were just downright scary.
Now we're about to need the roads again, for long distance travel. We all want to hook up with my oldest son and his wife...see their new place, visit w/them before their new baby arrives in early Spring, have all the kids together during the holiday season... and so on and so forth. Everyone's excited to go, and they're excited that we're coming.
I have the news running in the background and the meteorologist just said, "Another big storm is set to hit the East Coast this weekend." -__- Of course there is... grrr. We only have a small window of visit time (before school starts back up), so now we have some decisions to make too. Of course safety will be first and foremost on the agenda, but if ever there was a trip I didn't want to cancel, this is the one.
Who knows what will happen. We'll find out shortly. I'm crossing my fingers and toes and hoping for a